Sunday, May 19, 2013

TOW Reflection: Two Presidents, Bill Clinton Speech (re-write), Calvin Hobbes

    Over this long, challenging year, I have learned about my personal writing style, identified several points of improvement, and followed through improving many of them very well. I remember Mr. Yost saying some time during the year that the primary purpose of this course is to develop the real-life skills of advanced reading and writing, which has been the purpose of numerous in-class assignments, group projects, the AP exam, and, of course, these TOW analyses. Therefore, I would like to take some time to observe my beneficial development in these posts to track my progress that will forever contribute to my talents as a reader and writer.
    My three TOW assignments that I will be analyzing are each from a consecutive marking period: Two Presidents, Smoking and Scheming; Bill Clinton's Speech at Montco; and the Calvin and Hobbes cartoon, "You Need a Lobotomy." Each of these posts highlighted a spotlight of development, taught me something about my writing, and show improvement from earlier posts. Overall, the lesson that Smoking and Scheming taught me was to pick a topic that I want to write about, especially when you have the freedom to do so. This was the first time I used that freedom in these essays. Next, Bill Clinton's Speech at Montco was more of a traditional way of improving my writing in the middle of the year. My editor, Dave K, helped me mold arguments into my writing and introduced me to new ways of organizing my ideas and improving my writing. This is easily seen in my re-write, which is by far my most in-depth and advanced TOW of the year. Lastly, I dug deeper into my childhood by using these TOWs as a time trip with Calvin and Hobbes. This was my favorite TOW out of all to write because I had a personal connection with the topic, which made my argument stronger through extensive articulation of my memories into the TOW.
     With the help of these TOWs, I have undoubtedly mastered "putting myself" into the essay and making this evident to the reader, further establishing my credibility. Now I can read almost any piece of writing and somehow build a connection and analyze the piece. Even though I have made drastic strides in organizing my ideas in an effective way, I still find myself trying to fit them into a traditional manner. Therefore, the greatest aspect of my writing to work on in the future is to work the structure and organization of my argument to make it more effective and less "boring."
   

No comments:

Post a Comment